Camp Review: D-League Local Team Tryout — Miami, FL
They ended up starting the workout early, actually, as the entire thing got spilt into two groups — my group went first — of 40 players apiece for about 3 hours of work.
The tryout’s contents:
- Dynamic warmup led by team’s trainer (15 minutes)
- 3-man weave drill with 5 passes, 4 passes, 3 passes as prescribed by coaches (~20 minutes)
- 3-man weave drill with 3 defenders on the way back, playing live offense vs. defense (to test in-shape-ness of the defensive players — they had to sprint down to the baseline and back to defend). (~25 minutes)
- Coach demonstrates two set half-court plays, splits group into teams of five, gives us 3 minutes to practice plays (~10 minutes)
- Full court play on sideways courts (40 minutes)
- Coach installs two other plays, breaks group into teams of 10 players each. (~5 minutes)
- Full court play on main court, 5 players at a time with 5 subs entering at halfway mark (~45 minutes)
The video below explains the entire process in full.
The outcome of the tryout and subsequent Training Camp Decision: