It’s funny that as I wrote this title i starts typing faster. It reminded me of exactly what I’m writing about here.
Have you ever tried and tried something that wasn’t quite clicking, but then you became angry, or scared, or more positive, and then it worked? Same actions, new emotions.
ready to live your dreams?
you've played this game all your life. it's time you get paid to do it. get my exclusive video on getting an agent to start making it happen.
With the right focus or emotion pushing you, the same actions that haven’t been working — or have been working but with not-good-enough results — will get you what you want.
So how do you get there? How do you get that focus or emotion that can make all the difference?
- Depending on how disciplined you are, you can just remind yourself to step up the focus. It works for me and with habitual practice can raise anyone’s baseline level of focus.
- Utilize external stimulants. Like music, photos, videos, people (motivators; someone doing better than you; competition). Find the things that get you going and keep them around for when you need them.
- Death Ground: in The 33 Strategies of War, Robert Greene details the experience of really having your back against a wall, and how any human or animal will fight 3x as hard when there is no escaping the battle.
- Do things you like doing. It’s easier to be focused when you want to be. We want to focus on things we like.
- Do things you’re progressing in. Progress makes people happier (I’m sure there’s a study somewhere proving it) and drives us to do more of what created the progress. In other words, Work On Your Game.