I’ve been having a curious thing shared with me by entrepreneurs lately. Here’s the scenario, in steps.
- Someone says they are going to do something. Great!
- Person does not do what she said she was going to do.
- I remind/ask/call out person for not doing what she said she would do.
- Person replies, oh, sorry – I was really busy/tied up/doing something else other than what she said she would.
- I am expected to accept this as ok?
What’s crazy is, I get a sense of this I was busy response as if it’s something to be impressed about.
Not doing what you said you would do, for any reason – is not impressive. It’s irresponsible and unprofessional. Not owning it just compounds the problem.
- Don’t commit to what you cannot complete.
- Own your f*ck-ups. No excuses disguised as humble brags.
That is all.