[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]One recent morning, I found myself in a position that I wasn’t happy about. I was on my phone, scrolling through apps, trying to find something to do or to check. There was nothing. I realized I was developing a smartphone addiction. Though I don’t see myself becoming one of those people who walks the streets head-down and oblivious to the people they’re passing, idle phone-checking is the most potent gateway drug to that affliction. I needed a cleanse, and I needed it now.
So I took my morning walk sans phone. Here’s what occurred to me.
- Though I always walk the streets head-up and looking at the people I pass, doing so on this day took on more meaning in that there wasn’t anything else to look at. I didn’t have a phone to distract me from noticing all the details of a person. People just seemed more human this morning.
- I felt lighter on my feet, free of the 6.14 oz weight of the iPhone X, and then there’s something happening online that I can notice! mental weight of constant “connection.”
- I had 3-4 ideas come to me that I lost, as I had nothing with which to write them down. I don’t know if I am even still capable of writing with a pen a paper anymore.
- I noticed a lot more — people, more details of buildings, more sounds, more colors.
- The walk went by faster, probably because, without a phone, I couldn’t stop and Instagram Story anything I saw.
- I don’t feel I’m as phone-addicted as some people I’ve seen, so I was not traumatized nor suffering from withdrawals from not having electronics close by.
I haven’t done the phoneless walk again since that day, but I will. Maybe I’ll try some other things, too, like phoneless workouts, phoneless meals, and phoneless driving.
One step at a time.
For Your Game
- Going device-less for a short time, like during a walk around the neighborhood, is not nearly as hard as it seems on paper. Try it, and prove to yourself that you own the smartphone, not the other way around.
Get the full Daily Game, including the three “For Your Game” Daily takeaways, every day to your inbox. Your first 30 Days are on me — FREE.[/vc_column_text][vc_btn title=”Subscibe to The Daily Game” color=”info” size=”lg” align=”center” i_icon_fontawesome=”fa fa-chevron-right” button_block=”true” add_icon=”true” link=”url:https%3A%2F%2Fworkonyourgameu.com%2Fdaily-game-order-form|||”][/vc_column][/vc_row]